NYK orders LNG carrier

NYK has ordered an LNG carrier newbuilding on the back of a long-term charter from Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO).

The 155,300-cbm gas carrier has been ordered from MI LNG Company, a joint venture between Imabari and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

The vessel, which is due for delivery in 2017, will be used to import LNG into Japan from the Wheatstone LNG project in Australia.

It will be built to Mitsubishi’s Sayaendo design, which comprises four Moss-type spherical tanks with a peapod-shaped cover designed to increase fuel efficiency.

MI LNG Company was due to start operations on 1 April and will be 51% controlled by Mitsubishi with Imabari holding the other 49%.

The joint venture is designed to be able to cope with large-scale LNG carrier construction projects, and will have capacity for around eight LNG carriers per year.

The order – the first received via MI LNG – is the eighth to date for the Sayaendo. Construction will be carried out at Mitsubishi’s Nagasaki Shipyard & Machinery Works.

TRENDING TODAY

  1. Economou linked to $210m-worth of tanker and bulker transactions

    George Economou is being linked with fleet transactions in the tanker and bulker markets in deals that could run to $210m for eight vessels.

  2. KDB puts 10 Hanjin ships up for sale

    Creditor bank wants bids in for bulkers and boxships by 21 February.

  3. Golden Union picks up Japanese capesize

    Theodore Veniamis-fronted owner adds to fleet with purchase of Koyo-built bulker.