One of Africa’s oldest serving ships has reached the end of the line. The 64-year-old ferry, which has been plying its trade on Lake Malawi since 1951, has finally been replaced.

The Ilala — named after the place in present-day Zambia where the explorer David Livingstone died in 1873 — has carried an estimated two million passengers and one million tonnes of cargo since 1951, undergoing major renovations in 1990 and 2011.

Its successor — a Fast Crew Supplier 3307 built by Dutch group Damen at the Monkey Bay shipyard at the southern end of the lake — is named after John Chilembwe, the Malawian Baptist pastor whose portrait appears on 500-kwacha banknotes.